Lynton is 64 years old. He retired three years ago from work as a ‘road trainer’. Lynton worked for a road transport and logistics company which provided training for truck drivers – travelling with them – to enhance workplace knowledge, as well as driving technique. He had been involved in this work for ten years, and it often took him interstate; in one year he was away from home for the equivalent of five months. Tired of all the paperwork and travelling, Lynton was happy to retire in 2015.

In 2017 Lynton attended an appointment with his GP and asked for a full health check which he wanted to include PSA blood testing. At the time many of his mates were having PSA tests, and one had recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer. His doctor advised that there no need to rush into this, but Lynton persisted, and blood tests were done.

Results of the testing showed an elevated PSA of 6.3, and a second test was subsequently ordered. The second test was higher at 6.8, and Lynton was then referred to a urologist. Lynton’s doctor advised that the urologist was booked out for three months ahead, and that if a holiday was planned then to proceed with that.

Lynton rang to make his appointment and was advised of the three months wait. He was then asked about his PSA, and changes to that. ‘I was now told to come in immediately! I went straight in. Three months became three hours!’ The urologist performed a DRE and nothing obvious was detected. Another PSA test was ordered, and he was informed that ‘… the only way for you to be certain will be to have a biopsy.’ The hospital biopsy was booked, and two weeks later twelve samples were taken.

When he returned to the urologist, Lynton was informed that the pathology results showed six of those samples to be cancerous. ‘I was given a range of information and advice, but it boiled down to three options – Do nothing and die in 5 – 10 years; have radiation treatment; have the prostate removed. I asked the urologist what he would do. He said that he would have it out, and I decided then that I would have the radical prostatectomy.’

Six weeks later Lynton was in hospital, and a robotic RP was performed. He anticipated being in hospital for two nights post-op but ended up there for five nights. ‘There was very bad blood clotting; it was extremely painful. The catheter kept blocking up, and it had to be constantly removed. When I think about it, that whole experience still brings a tear of pain to my eye.’

Like most men who have a RP, Lynton experienced a degree of incontinence. His urologist advised that he attend a continence physiotherapist. A pelvic floor exercise program was provided, and this resulted in significant improvement. Two years on he is using only a light pad daily, and none at night. Lynton’s urologist is confident that this will eventually clear up.

Lynton initiated contact with the Geelong Prostate Support Group after the operation. A friend of his wife had told her of the Group, and Lynton rang Rob Chapman (treasurer) to find out more. Since then he has attended all meetings when he is not away. He enjoys hearing of how other men in the Group are proceeding in their prostate cancer journey, ‘and it makes you realise that there are other who are worse off than yourself.’

Lynton is a CFA volunteer fireman and is involved with both the active and social aspects of his brigade. He also plays golf once a week, walks daily, and enjoys caravanning holidays both locally and interstate. International travel often takes him to North America where his son works. Lynton has recently just returned from seven weeks in Canada and the USA. He also has two daughters, each with a daughter, so he is often babysitting them. Lynton appreciates the support that his wife Maureen and his family have provided him throughout not only his prostate cancer but also a heart attack.