Scott is 72 years old and retired in 2012. He has an accounting degree and was a director of two Australian companies which involved a large amount of overseas travel. Since he retired he has spent a significant amount of time working on community- related projects. He regularly had a yearly medical checkup and for around 3 years his PSA blood testing counts were consistently around 1.

Four years ago Scott was away interstate on holidays when on two occasions he observed a significant amount of blood in his urine. He made an appointment with a local GP who arranged a number of tests. The ultrasound images he had needed further investigation so he was advised to return home as a matter of urgency to deal with it. He rang his GP in Geelong to tell him of the situation, and a referral to a Geelong urologist was arranged. Within days Scott had returned home, seen the urologist and was booked in for a one-night stay in hospital for a cystoscopy bladder check. A non-invasive low-grade urothelial carcinoma was detected and removed He was told that checks would now be required every six months. At the first check in November 2015 another small low-grade tumour was detected and removed. The August 2016 and May 2017 checks were all clear.

It was around this time that Scott’s GP noticed a significant increase in his PSA (to 4) and an appointment was made with his urologist; a biopsy was done and of the 12 samples taken 7 were cancerous. Scott’s urologist advised because of his good overall health and fitness immediate action would be needed in the form of a robotic radical prostatectomy. Scott’s response was “Well I’ve got cancer, and I just want to get rid of it.” Three weeks later, in June 2017, he had the operation. Blood tests since then have shown PSA to be non-detectable.

Scott was informed prior to his operation that incontinence was normal following an RP, and that this could persist for up to a year. His incontinence program was overseen by a urinary physiotherapist. Despite diligently undertaking the exercise program provided, he had some improvement but the leakage still continued.

The next bladder check in May 2018 detected three low-grade non-invasive carcinomas and these were removed. At the same time his urologist noted that there was scar tissue in the urethra.

He decided that he would like a second opinion and saw a Melbourne urologist. The urologist confirmed that the scarring in the urethra was the cause of the incontinence, and that pelvic floor physio work could not assist in overcoming the leakage. The urologist said that without medical intervention, which maybe not possible because of the ongoing bladder checks, he would be incontinent for the rest of his life.

In October 2018 Scott had his regular cystoscopy and four non-aggressive carcinomas were detected and removed from his bladder.

By February 2019 he was averaging two pads a day, with daily leakage of about 100 and 200 mls depending on the amount of physical work undertaken. Scott is currently working with his urologist to determine his next steps. He has purchased a treadmill and uses it regularly as he sees regular exercise being an important part of his ongoing health.

Scott began attending meetings of the Geelong Prostate Support Group following his prostate surgery. He has appreciated the information provided by both guest speakers and individual members of the Group. He notes how this information has guided him in some aspects of decision-making surrounding his journey and treatments. He has made an appointment with Barwon Health Rehabilitation Services at the McKellar Centre (as a result of a presentation made at the Geelong Prostate Support Group) to ensure that his incontinence management actions are the most appropriate to minimise his current situation.

Scott is married and they have two daughters living in Melbourne. The family have been extremely supportive of Scott during his journey with both bladder and prostate cancers. Scott has been actively involved in the development of their five grandchildren.

He loves football and has been a member of the Western Bulldogs for 60 years; “It consumes him!” his wife said. He uses the skills he learnt during his long working career to help and guide a number of groups in his local community.